I’m not one for New Year’s Resolutions normally, finding them a waste of time, but I do want to change some things this year. Basically, I want to free myself of junk. And I’m not just talking about junk food here, though gru knows I could stand cutting down a lot on it, but junk consumption in general. In these past few years I feel like I’ve wasted too much time on things that don’t matter, aren’t worth it, or even actively harmful. I’m talking about.
- NO more junk tv. So much time wasted with crappy Discovery “documentaries” about awful people fighting over the scraps of other people’s failures, mildly amusing quiz shows and talking head football shows. Meanwhile my movie watching dropped almost to zero because I had “no time” for them, then spent twice as long watching crap on television. I need to stop that and watch something good instead.
- NO more online junk. The internet is of course the ultimate quick junk fix and I need to stop falling for Upworthyesque shit or tvtropes rabbit trails. I need to let go a bit more and not hit up more sites when there’s nothing interesting to read or see. I certainly don’t need to keep watching 40 minute long videos of other people playing games when I could be playing myself. Which brings me to.
- NO more junk gaming. For fuck’s sake, I had to make a spreadsheet to keep track of all the games I’ve already bought in the two years I’ve finally had a modern(ish) pc, yet I keep buying and not playing them? Meanwhile Football Manager shows ridic numbers of hours spent on it, in “just one more turn” type of button pushing pellot drop gaming. I like the game, but I need to let go of it a bit more when I’m just playing it to get the season done and over with.
- NO more junk blogging. Less of the obsession to get posts out daily or regularly when I have nothing to say, more time spent on writing them. ‘Nuff said.
- Finally, NO more junk reading. Not that I necessarily regret the books I read last year, but there have been times in the past two-three years where all I could stomach reading was Mass Effect fanfiction and shitty mil-sf. That needs to change.
Basically, I want to engage more rather than mindlessly consume what’s put in front of me.